Friday, September 17, 2010

Direct me to the freeway

Now I have a GPS but there is a major issue with these GPS systems and that is you are still forced to know an address.     I know there are points of interest but every time I scrolled through the airports in the city of Chicago it only comes up with Civil Airport which is neither OHare nor Midway.   My guess is that OHare is probably located in a suburb of Chicago thus it doesn't show up when searching for airports in Chicago.  The issue is that if you don't know that that suburb is you are completely lost.   

So I ask the parking-lot attendant but she also has no idea what suburb it might be in, so here I am with a $150 machine which can't get me anywhere near the place I need to go.   So I go to the second option, ask for direction but it's amazing how bad I am at listening to directions when I'm driving.    Earlier this week I get into a rental car and leave the parking lot at the McCormick Center to go to OHare, I ask the friendly parking lot attendant what the quickest way is and she tells me

You leave the parking lot and make a quick right and another one, go through two light and when you get through that take the fork to the left and then make a left at the second light, but not the blinking light, you go under the underpass and you'll see a sign for 55 take it towards Wisconsin.

I'm not sure what it is but I just cannot visualize directions like that and then when she throws Wisconsin into directions to get me from downtown Chicago to the airport in Chicago then I'm beyond help.   I swear that by the time she's done with her 30 seconds of directions, I'm already thinking of what I'll be having for lunch later.   
I have to either see it on paper or see a map.    I understand each of the words but if you string them together I can't make heads-or-tails out of it.   It's like giving me a complex physics equation when I'm a C student in Pre Algebra.

No comments: