Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I want one

I love Woot, I really do.    Surfing over to Woot.com is part of my daily ritual and about once every few weeks I actually buy something.   The best thing about woot is also the worst thing; see with only one item per day, it's a complete impulse buy and most of the time you are buying something you have less than no interest in.   I've bought a new water-spout for my faucet, a wine opener, an electronic level, a bunch of crappy t-shirts, a bottle of cheap wine, a bottle of not so cheap wine, a roomba, a huge rocking horse-cow and a bunch of kid's toys.    The greatest thing about woot is that the item is usually so far from your mind, in terms of what you really need, that the desire is also fleeting.   I've had the experience countless times where an item shows up at my door and I have no recollection of having ordered anything.   It takes until I open the box when I realize what it is I purchased.

Now as you can guess, 90% of the stuff I bought from woot over the years should just get thrown into a big bin and sold off as a gigantic bag-of-crap since whatever impulse I had to buy an item is way gone two weeks into owning it.   The beauty of woot is also its downfall; the item you buy is not something you thought you wanted but buy anyway; the problem is that once you have it you wonder how you could have either saved the $20 on the item or what you can do today to get it out of your apartment.

So I'm on a woot.com hiatus although my guess is that this hiatus will last less than a week…

 

UPDATE  there is a woot-off going on presently and I'm seriously considering pressing the 'I want one' button for the Energizer Universal 8000mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack

No comments: