Monday, August 30, 2010

you're on the clock

There is nothing I detest more than the slow talker.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm always in a rush and that I have no patience for anything but when a guy starts talking and it takes him more that 5 seconds to get the words out of his mouth, I'm already zoned out. You can't expect to succeed when you are a Sunday driver especially if you want to compete in the big city so it's not surprising that the slow-talker usually gets relegated to some kind of office position in a company and is often the guy people forget  to invite for drinks during happy-hour

Maybe it's a sign of a rushed society but whenever I encounter a slow talker, I immediately wonder if he's mentally handicapped.    The dude could be the second coming of Einstein but the fact that he's so deliberate in his speech pattern makes me think he's missing three chromosomes.

Yeah I know it sounds horrible but admit it; when the slow talk begins, the words immediately mean less.   I have a friend who has this affliction and hanging with his is painful.   The entire time he talks I daydream about taking a giant ice-pick and jabbing him through his eye-balls.   This guy could be giving me tomorrow's lottery numbers with no strings attached and I'd miss them because I'm zoned out because of the rhythm of his speech.     It's sad really but in a world where we multitask from morning till night, I just don't have time to waste listening to a guy trying to come up with the next word in a sentence.  

 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: