Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm literally going to kill somebody

I'm in no way a spelling or grammar snob, as I have a terrible grasp of the English Language so realize that in order to annoy me you have to really butcher it.     Now I've been known to use to instead of too –although I really know the difference and there have been many occasions where I've changed the word I'm about to write because I don't know how to spell it (thank you Eddie Ift for that joke as it applies directly to me).   I realize that I'm a complete hypocrite when it comes to people who abuse the English language, often thinking less of somebody's intelligence if they cannot properly form a sentence.  I see a misspelling and I immediately think less of the person who wrote it even if I know them personally.    I have even made a (poor) case for trying to add an extra b to the word bum as I think that if dumb is spelled with a b so should bumb.

But the thing that annoys me more than anything is when somebody says something like

"I literally died laughing when I read TOR last week'
 Now unless you are literally dead there is no way that you literally meant to use literally.     Now you hear it everywhere, in common conversation, in news reports, on TV shows in writer word.   People tend to use literally incorrectly when they are trying desperately to make a point but the way I see it by using literally when you meant figuratively only takes away from the point you were trying to make.    The problem is that this word is so often misused that it has almost become correct in the minds of people, it's as if we've committed to the lowest common denominator .
now i expect you clowns to rip apart this blog entry for grammatical and spelling mistakes

 

No comments: