Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Modern Bathroom

This is kind of a continuation of yesterday but it's my blog so there

A few weeks ago when a real-estate agent asked me if I'd be open to look at a new development it kind of floored me. Not specifically because she was putting an entirely different neighborhood out there but more that she thought I'd seriously consider it.
I guess she wasn't exactly sure as she did phrase it very carefully. See in NYC there are two types of home buyers: ones who like classic detail and the small community feel and those who have no taste.
The beauty of the New Development is that...well it's new. You won't have to deal with any pre-existing leaks or the angry spirits of dead people but then again you also don't get character and when I look for a place to live I need character. Now character is found in original crown molding or bay windows not on a 1 foot by 1 foot 'smoker's terrace'.
New Developments always have the same issue, the cram 3 bedrooms and 2 bath's into 700 square feet which means your kid's are sleeping in closets and your closet doubles as your bathroom. Any apartment where they give you the slick bathroom decor with the bowl sink, the rain faucet or the mismatched tiles basically means you'll have the equivalent of an 80's teal and pink fully mirrored bathroom in five years.
But what bothers me most is that the new construction is so often so shoddy. You so often see that the developer cut corners, made sacrifices or just did bad work.
Everytime I walk in I just expect a door that leads into a wall or a living room shaped like a U. Those are all design flaws but what is worse is shoddy work, the last place I saw used 12" screws for a door hinge meaning that 6" was sticking out the backside kind of like John Holmes banging Tia Tequila


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: