Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reconnections

One of the things we don't like here at TOR and a few things we do like.
Recently we were introduced to Google Buzz which tries to emulate the best parts of Facebook (the funny personalized status updates) while hopefully limiting the most annoying parts (all those stupid updates from Bejeweled, the farm thing etc.). We realize the cultural significance and communication importance which Facebook has brought to our lives but there are a number of issues we have with the setup.

My main complaint is this feature where they ask you to reconnect with people who are already your FB friends. Basically there is some program that tells FB that Righetti hasn't been in contact with Joe Schmo over Facebook so wants to encourage you to 'reconnect' with them. Honestly I don't need anybody to remind me to connect with anybody else, this is not a reminder it's an annoyance.

There are two reason's I have not recently connected with over Facebook: I don't give a crap or I see them often in real life.

Facebook is cool for certain things but when I got a message to reconnect with some jackass from High-school who I don't even remember adding as a friend, the only thought I get is ' I should drop that guy as a FB friend'.
Facebook is already the main portal to the internet for many people, it doesn't also have to be the social police like being 13 and your mom asking why you don't hang out with the bucktoothed kid anymore.

I connect with who I want to connect with and any nudging nudges me towards disconnecting from Facebook

Maybe more ridiculous is when you get a reminder to reconnect with a FB friend who you see all the time. Just last week I got a facebook reminder nudge to reconnect with my mom, I got this message as I was sitting on the couch at my mom's house while we were watching the Biggest Loser together.
I'm connecting with her just fine without your help Facebook.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Cathy said...

the biggest loser is great! i love watching the before & after. omg i can't believe that i am sitting here at work going through your entire blog.