Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another reason to hate people

Is there anything more self-serving than people who inadvertently drop little tidbits into their normal conversation to make themselves seem more altruistic.


"I was on my way making an anonymous donation when I came across a funny shop which sold wine-fridges and I thought of you"
the fact that you were going to make a donation has nothing to do with the wine-fridge but people tend to squeez in little details which make my stomach turn.

Nobody does this better/worse than the rich upper-east side yuppies who write letters to the NY Times for their Metropolitan Diary section

Here is another gem from some jackass who probably hurt themselves in the gymnastics it requred to pat themselves so firmly on their own backs

On the Monday before Thanksgiving, I took a cab home to the Upper East Side from Harlem, where I was doing some friends a favor — throwing out their trash while they were on vacation.


While in the cab, I kept hearing this weird electronic music repeating. So I looked down and, in the corner of the seat, there was the lighted screen of a really nice cellphone. It rang again, so I answered it. It turned out this man left his cellphone in the cab and wanted to know where I was.


He was a little rude, but I told him my general direction. Since it was not anywhere near him, we arranged for a time for him to pick it up near where I work.


I was still in the same cab when I felt my rear end vibrate. And it was not me.


I checked my own phones and the new one I found, but the vibrating was not coming from any of those. So I dug around in the corner of the seat again and I found a second cellphone! The second one was even nicer than the first. And it vibrated again!


So I answered it, and it was a man whose girlfriend had left it there. Luckily she lived near me, so I left the phone with the doormen so she could pick it up, which she did.


Isn’t that weird? Karma is a funny lady.


Michelle Park
Not only is this not interesting this is not Karma, but what it is is self-serving bullshit.  This is a perfect example of what the Metropolitan Diary is apparantly published for: to give somebody who hasn't gotten enough attention in their lives a forum to take a bow for the smallest bit of human sacrifice.    

Not only was this entire story about returning cell-phones all over town loaded with self-rigeous tones but the biggest bit of pomposity may have to do with the first part of the letter which described how the writer was on route from helping a friend.   Would this story have been any worse if you just mentioned you were sitting in a taxi or was it completely neccessary to point out the fact that you were on your way to do another good deed.  Next time preface it with something about you donating blood for poor kids in Africa.
We get it, you are a great person and you help tons of people by returning their cell-phones and throwing out their garbage and you have now taken your bows (in a very public forum).. next time a little humility may actually lead to somebody giving a crap.

No comments: