Friday, February 5, 2010

PF Changs

TOR usually doesn't do food reviews leaving that to people who have a real passion for these things on blogs like http://gastronomicsuccess.blogspot.com/ but when I have a really bad experience I tend to vent. In Vegas one night, I drop in and sit barside. Now this alone should be enough for a decent time: I love asian fusion and I love sitting bellied up to a bar. Sadly within 30 seconds I was already disappointed. The TV's were 32" which even in a living-room looks small today so watching the end of some Hockey game was near impossible. The beer selection was a choice between PBR on tap and Sam Adams both of which basically suck. I like PBR when served in a can, not when propped up at $6 a pint and Sam Adams has really started to taste like Jim Cook vomited in it.
Now I know chain restaurants aren't everybody's cup of tea but I don't mind them because the food is usually consistent.
Now as if the beer selection wasn't limited enough, the topped it off with a selection of MSG riddled glorified chinese dishes at steak-house prices. The Ahi Tuna was actually pretty decent and the salt-and-pepper shrimp was deep fried but spicy so even that was OK but the main courses where dreadful.
We got one dish of kung-pao chicken which tasted like it had been in the deep-fry since the Ming dynasty and one spicy beef which honestly was worse than what you get at those ghetto chinese restaurants with the white awnings and the pictures of the food as their menu.
This was complete rat-meat, served on a bed of dried lettuce and bamboo spouts all for $18 or something.

All in all, when you go Chinese you have to go authentic cause the chain restaurant version has all the taste of the floor of a subway car at cab prices.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

thanks for the shout-out. PF Changs Sucks.