Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No Drinking

Although I have often embarrassed myself while drinking and often feel like hell the day-after since my body just cannot recover like it used to, I have never threatened to never drink again.
I know booze is in my blood (literally most nights) and quite frankly I enjoy it too much too much to ever give up. What I do find interesting is most everybody (including my own) attitude when going on a booze-sabbatical.

Most people will tell you that when they are off the booze that they feel so much better physically, are better rested, feel more fit and more sharp mentally and will swear that they don't miss it and are having just as much fun without it. I have heard this story a thousand times and a thousand times you look at that same person six months later and they are hitting the bottle as hard as they ever have

Why if everybody feels better does everybody go back again??

I have gone one a couple of booze-breaks and always try to convince myself and everybody else that I am just as happy without it but deep in my heart I know the first time that sweet taste hits my lips it's GO time and I'm diving in garbage and ripping off my shirt at some wedding..

Now I believe that alcohol affects so many more people than let on; we all have some addiction to it but for some the addiction is physical and their pull comes from a craving while the rest of us it's a mental addiction. Where some people fall into a spiral the majority of people can be described as functional alcoholics. I think it's the fact that nobody ever really gives it up which makes me believe the pull is stronger for the average person than we ever let on.

Or maybe it's like TOR reader Mrs Lad says "think about the most memorable night of your life, I bet you were hammered in just about every one of them"

It's just more fun to drink
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

The Bump said...

jackie gleason said..."i always feel sorry for people who don't drink. when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they are going to feel all day."

and w.c. fields said "it was a woman who drove me to drink, and i never wrote to thank her."