Saturday, December 5, 2009

Status Updates

When I grew up and you wanted to see how your friend was doing, you called them on the phone. I am not talking about some fancy cell-phone or even a cordless phone but a good old rotary wall-unit. I am not anti-technology and won't disparage this generation for their G-chats, text messages, email and social networking as I use all of them myself. What I do find irritating is that some people, -many in my generation- just don't get the etiquette associated with them

This includes people who take it personally when you can't have an full G-Chat conversation because you happened to be at work, people who leave voicemails which only say "call me back" or worse yet people who have a text-message conversation while at dinner.

But most importantly there isn't anything more frustrating than when some ahole sends you a facebook present or a facebook hug. This is an absolute waste of bandwidth than this crap unless you count the bad status-update.

I think we need to establish something: if your status-update is not clever, funny or interesting don't waste my time. Just trolling FB today you read stuff like

"Going to the gym" or "doing laundry".

People who leave status updates like this are the kind of adults who show up with a baseball glove in the stands of MLB game.

Let's get this straight NOBODY CARES!! The Status Update does what Twitter would love to, give people a forum for friends to 'mini blog" to friends which they see from their normal internet portal not a separate website but when people post their day-to-day activity without at least an interesting tidbit I want to take an icepick to my eye-balls.

It's funny how the people who posted the above bad FB Updates always post terrible updates. It's as if they just don't get the concept of the Status Update
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Unknown said...

omg i totally post updates like that on facebook all the time!