Thursday, December 17, 2009

So for years we have been told that technology is supposed to make things easier

.



Last night I wake up at 4AM and do what I always do; grab my blackberry and check my work emails. I answer about 5 different emails and put the Blackberry down as I go back to sleep.

When I woke up at 7AM I noticed a small red x next to each of the emails I sent and also noticed that there had been no incoming emails from about 3AM on. So I did what any manic US Worker would do and marched straight to the Verizon store fearing my lifeline to the world was on the fritz.

I’ve walked past this store on other mornings and the traffic going in is usually minimal before 9AM and doesn't seem to pick up until sometime in the afternoon. Today was different it was the begining of a mob-scene and when I walked it I got the message loud-and clear as the technician didn’t even look up  and said

“Blackberry outages reported, RIMM is working on the problem and should be resolved in a few hours’
There could not have been more relief when hearing this, the fact that the problem was system-wide was so much better than having to try to swap out a new BlackBerry which is never seamless.

There were no less than 5 people who walked in at roughly the same time and each one got the same message and had the same double sense of angst and relief knowing the rest of the world was dealing with the same thing actually made me a bit relaxed.
It’s as if knowing other people are suffering along with you actually adds comfort

No comments: