Monday, February 14, 2011

Take on Valentines Day

Sometimes we bitch about things we can control other-times we bitch about things we cannot control and sometimes our friends do the bitching for us but the fight remains about us vs them though sometimes the players in the us camp turn into them and the players in the them camp become us.
 
There is an ongoing fight in a number of communities against Wall-Mart and other "Big Box" stores moving in and ruining business for the "mom and pop" stores.  I know we are supposed to side with David and not Goliath, but when David tries to give it to you with no Vaseline, it's hard to take his side.  Case in point:  Valentine's Day.  We all have to go out to buy flowers for the little lady no matter what your hipster senses tell you.  There's what's right and what's right and flowers for you lady on V-day is right.  I stop in the local florist to order a dozen roses for pickup on the 14th.  The owner helps me and writes up my order.  The charge, $85.  Yes that's right, for a dozen flowers.  More than 7 dollars a flower.  I call up a bigger chain to see what their pricing is and they have a dozen for $45, nearly half of the mom and pop.  I know I am supposed to feel for the plight of the small business, but when they take every opportunity to screw the small guy, I won't play ball.  Why not charge a fair price and create a customer for all year, than to just try to cash in on the one day we are commanded to buy flowers.  Don't even get me started on local restaurants and their special prix fixe menus.  $65 a head and they expect you to SHARE a dessert. 

No comments: