Wednesday, February 2, 2011

As American as Apple Pie

The official food of NYC is probably a slice of New York style pizza which I'm sure everybody can agree is an absolute staple. Other staples include dirty gyros from the grease carts, the pastrami Reuben or the bagel and it's hard to argue against any of them but there probably is a case to me made fir the hot-dog as the most New York meal.

Now there are many people will say that there is nothing as distinctly New York as a dirty-water dog from the many street vendors on the street and they do make a point but somehow the quality differs too much from cart to cart. Others may say the grilled dog on a warm summer day in Central Park should be considered and of course Nathans basically has a huge cult following even if their dogs taste like the crap you get at a gas-station on the Thruway.

But I will forever argue that there is no dog more New York than that made by the foreigners working behind the counter and grill at Grays Papaya. Now long one are the days when I'd walk in wirth my Old Man and we'd both be stuffed for $2, but even at $1.50 each pop sandwich brings together all the people of the city like Papayas. Just today I stood in line with 2 homeless guys, one Wall-street type, a lady in fur and a bunch of high-school ages Dominicans.
I walked out spending $6 which is a 600% increase from what I would have spent 25 years ago and it was still the best deal in the city.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: