Friday, December 15, 2017

Take on The Big Guy

After thirty years, the big guy finally signed off. Everybody had their say, there were in-depth newspaper articles, stories on TV and even a feature on NPR but today Fatso finally called it quits.
I grew up listening to this guy, literally. I bet I first started when I was 15 and have basically listened since then. I'd hide a transistor radio in my coat in school, would go for lunch breaks just to listen to my Walkman, would drive the long way to get another few minutes and turned to 98.7 whenever he interviews Eli at 5:05.
I don't listen as often as I used to, but with the internet and twitter, following it has never been easier, so this has been a 25+ year journey for me.

The best part about Fatso is how much he pissed people off, I have a friend who will literally scream at the radio when Francesa said something that he never said. The anger that this guy was able to generate without screaming, cursing or even really insulting anybody is just phenomenal. If Howard Stern talked a guy off of jumping off the bridge, Francesa likely talked a few people onto that bridge.


We will miss you Mikey

No comments: