Monday, September 15, 2014

Take on the Home Depot/Mac Windows

Who knew that getting a screen door installed would be such a process.
We went to Home Depot in June and picked an Anderson Windows one out
with the understanding that we'd have it installed within a few days.
First thing that happens is that Home Depot comes out to measure our
door and as luck would have it, the standard screen door of 36 inches
wide doesn't fit in our 35 inch doorway. This of course sucks because
it turns a $250 door and turns it into a $450 one even though if am
getting 1 inch less of door. Even if that isn't a big enough kick in
the nards, a custom door also takes a few weeks to make as opposed to
a few days to deliver, I'm starting to get nervous that I will not
have a screen door until July.. A few weeks later I get a call from
the friendly but half-dead sales guy and told that my door is in and
that the installation folks will reach out to me shortly

I get a call a few days later and told from the installers, Mac
Windows l, that the first availability for my door installation would
be at the end of August. Great, my summer door will be ready just in
time to store it for the winter. I complain to the service rep who
seems shocked that somebody who has paid for a door would
actually..you know...want to have it installed. I tell her that they
obviously can't handle the workload that Home Depot gives them. to
which she responds that they can. Well if you can then why the hell
would it take 2 months to install a basic door?? I'm instructed to
complain to Home Depot who in turn tells me to take my complaint back
to Mac Windows who tells me to go back to Home Depot. This little
salsa routine goes on for three phone-calls to the point where I think
I may look at my calendar and find out that it's August already

Two months later some dude shows up and installs the door about as
well as I would have myself. He puts the frame in upside down so
there is no way to get the dead-bolt into the hole which is ok since
he didn't install a deadbolt anyway. He then drills through my door
frame which he doesn't cover up or apologize for but just shrugs off.
Then instead of putting in the bottom sweeper thing, he leaves it
hanging out looking like a used rubber.

So my frame is in upside down, I have no dead bolt, there are acres
poking out the frame, the rubber sweeper thing is laying on the floor,
plus the front stoop is littered with saw dust, metal shavings and a
bunch crews (hope those aren't important). I call to complain and of
course am told to contact Mac Windows who then says to take it up with
The Home Depot.

At least this isn't the kid of thing that : notice.. oh wait a second,
it stares me right in my face every time I open the door.

Thanks Home Depot and Mac Windows, nothing like coming to my house,
charging me twice what I was told, screwing up the job and then
leaving a huge mess.

1 comment:

Mr. R. Lee said...

I empathize. I feel similar frustration when these things happen.

That's why I have solved the problem:
Don't ever do any work around the house. Don't install anything. Don't improve anything. Don't even try.

Just buy the house as-is, make sure it is in tip-top shape when you do, and then never lift your finger for anything except the remote control and the toilet seat.

It's great! Life is so much easier around the house.