Monday, February 13, 2012

Take on basic math

When I called AT&T to add an international data plan this morning I
wasn't expecting that I had signed up to give an 8 grade math lesson.
While discussing a couple of plan options including one for $25
which got you 50 megs of $50 for 125 megs it became very clear that
this dude had no clue what he was doing

I asked him how much I'm using on average now to try to determine what
I should choose for the 5 days I'd be away. He said

"on average I would say you are using 420 thousand megabytes per week"

This is wrong on so many levels. Firat of all an average is a real
calculation so there should be no 'I would say' in the statement. The
second issue is the fact he said 420 thousand megabytes which would
mean 420 gigs order space that I have on my external hard drive. The
problem is that when you ask a guy who works in the data division of a
multinational company, you expect him to know there is a pretty big
difference if you just add 'thousand' to a number So not only are
his numbers are dead wrong even if we excuse him for added thousand
behind 'megs' they don't even add up. I ask him what I used last
month and he said less than a gig. So how could I use 'on average'
420 mega if for an entire month I didn't get to 1000 megs? This
question was lost upon our customer service rep who couldn't explain
how he got to his 420 number and worse yet couldn't even grasp the
concept behind his error

No comments: