Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Take on the bylines

The NY Times has gotten rid of their bylines and it completely irks me. I often read an article depending on who wrote it, having followed certain reporters for years and denying me this will certainly have me read less. I get the idea about trying to sterilize the news or at minimum take the reporters view or apparent bias of of it. The issue is that not all reporters are equal, there are certain reporters who have better sources, a more comprehensive history with the subject or are just plan better story tellers, all of which are reasons you may choose to read one story over another. Writers with a Pulitzer should be commended and hard working reporters breaking stories should be given the opportunity to take a bow

Although I think this was a coup from within as all these reporters were passed that Maggie Haberman had five bylines per front page while the rest of them struggled for four combined



So I'd implore the Old Gray Lady to go back to bylines.

No comments: