Monday, December 24, 2012

Take on Christmas gifts

I used to love Christmas, not just as a kid but also as an adult. I
happily listened to Christmas music, was excited to buy friends and
family gifts and really took in the spirit of the season. Then I one
day I stopped loving it and started to despise it. Maybe it was the
fact that we would routinely spend $1000 on gifts, maybe it was that
I'd leave the season with a garage full of crap I didn't ask for and
certainly didn't want or maybe it was because at some point it just
stopped being about Christmas and was only about who could spoil which
kid the most.
Long gone are the days when the Holidays were about thoughtful
presents, long gone are the genuine hugs after a gift exchange and
long gone is the magic of Christmas. Now my kid gets a bag full of
clothes, boxes of plastic toys and more stocking stuffers than I got
regular presents as a kid. She doesn't appreciate them anymore
because there are so many of them that by the time she rips open her
15th box she is numb to it.
I just wish people could realize that kids can be spoiled by a
thoughtful gift or gasp spending time with them not just trying to
outdo everybody else with quantity of gift

No comments: