Sunday, December 16, 2012

Take on the Barclays Center

I love Brooklyn, lived there got almost a decade and not a day goes by
that I don't miss the place. What I don't miss is the traffic and the
subway and what I am glad I never got to experience is the Barclays
Center. I get that it's good for business and that it allows the
borough to have it's own sports identity but they really could not
have chosen and uglier design.

Whenever I drive down Atlantic avenue and get my first glimpse of it
again, I am floored. It looks like a gigantic space-ship landed in
downtown Brooklyn and brought JayZ with them. I always heard about
how quaint Ebbets Field was but quaint is the last description you
would give this monstrosity. Not only is it am eye-sore, it also
dominates the entire area although granted that corner was filled with
the crappiest collection on electronic stores, outlet furniture joints
and terrible tile stores so it's not like it replaced a memorable part
of Brooklyn. It is just that it doesn't feel natural. Unlike other
cities with Arenas, the area is too crowded, too congested and too
busy and this building only makes you feel more claustrophobic

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Apparently Righetti is not a fan of good architecture.