Sunday, July 31, 2022

Take on the QR code menu

During the height of the pandemic, the QR code menu went from a quickly thing some small cafes had to a near necessity for all restaurants. The contactless option felt safer and meant less communal passage, or so the adage seemed to be. Although I haven't gotten back to too many restaurants, the few I've gone to have all gone to the QR code menu model permanently and I'm quite frankly done with them. You sit at dinner with four friends and they all take their phones out to see what appetizers they have. Now one is distracted by a text from the babysitter, another sees a scroll about some celebrity death, a third is on Facebook and there I am, basically sitting alone. I am fully aware of my own ADD and realize that if pick up my phone during dinner, it's likely I'll go down a rabbit hole of YouTube, Twitter and Wordle and by the time I'm out, I'll be choosing desert.
I have to be honest, it's time to give up on this and move back to good old fashion physical menus, germs, e-Coli and all.

No comments: