Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Take on the FM dial


I fell asleep with a transistor radio under my pillow for years, listening to the monotone of the AM Dial to listen to Sterling call a game or Summers schmooze some S-P-O-R-T-S. It was glorious to be able to listen anywhere o the eastern seaboard or in Cleveland on a cloudy night. When the move of the format went to the FM dial, it was a transition as the question was who the heck needs to hear Benigno in stereo (me, that's who). But right now the format seems to be retreating back to the AM dial and Michael Kay who has sucked most of his career will get booted back to radio purgatory. It's amazing how many of these FM stations can't keep a format, 98.7, 92.3, 95.5 have all recently changed Stations like 102.7 seemed to change every five minutes a decade ago. Back in the 90's I remember falling asleep to Bach and waking up to Sebastian Bach when 104.3 changed overnight

What it does to us it speaks to the power of Z100. They literally have not changed what they've done for my entire lifetime. They still have Elvis I think, they still do Jingleball and they still get a million teenagers to tune in every time.

No comments: