Sunday, January 29, 2012

Take on Sleep No More

When I was told to meet for a night of entertainment on west 27th
street, promised tons of tits, a dark space with small rooms, a sea of
blank faces, simulated sex scenes set in tight quarters with a
decadent decor could I be blamed for assuming we were heading to
Scores?   Instead I was dragged into a 100,000 square foot abandoned
warehouse which had been transformed into an interactive theater stage
to be dragged through what felt like one of those  procrastination
fueled high-school nightmare to see an old Shakespeare classic done by
the theatrical equivalent of David Lynch.  A 1930's themed hotel,  was the setting for a revival of Macbeth in a production which was half haunted house half Stanley Kubrick called  Sleep No More.
There are apparently 13 hours of acting which takes place simultaneously throughout the fun house and you are expected to walk
through the story as you encounter and follow various characters from the play all while masked.
The biggest  Issue I had was going in was that I was told it was a silent play so having no recollection of reading it in high-school
which was probably do to the fact I probably never actually read it in high-school (sorry Mr Erickson)  I was in for a long and boring night.   Thankfully a friend gave me the cliff-note version basically as we walked in which
allowed me to follow it roughly and I don't often say this for avant garde or modern art but it was quite good
Now granted I didn't see everything as nobody could possibly catch all 13 hours of acting during a chaotic 2 hour show so those boobies i was promised were never presented to me although neither were any of the multiple naked units which were exposed right along those boobies (one
of which my cliff notes teacher was quite impressed with)
I did see the killing of the King, Lady Macbeth in bed, some moving
trees and a couple of nuns/nurses looking creepy.

So although I only saw 20% of the play, understood 10% and didn't see
any tits, I would still give this 2 units up....one small one and one
large uncut one


Sent from my iPad



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: