Saturday, February 7, 2009

Gluten our savior of flavor



Had dinner at a pizza place with a couple of chicks-who-like-other-chicks last night, cool atmosphere, kinda pricey, not too loud but all in all a lot of fun.  This the kind of group I get along with swimmingly because we all have the same interests.. you know the whole "we love chicks, we hate dudes" thing. 

Well the dinner was great but little did I know that not only was there no decent meat toppings for the pizza (I guess going to dinner with these pepperoni hating chicks could have tipped me off) but apparently the joint also doesn't add gluten to their pizza dough. 
What is gluten you ask?   well apparently it is the thing in pizza which makes it taste good.  This gluten free pizza was like having cheese and red-sauce on a crust with the texture of rice pudding and the consistency of sponge cake.   I remember years ago there was a commercial for Polio String Cheese and the tag line was "the best part of the pizza without the pizza"  well they should be sued for false advertisement, the best part of the pizza is the gluten.

Gluten not only adds deliciousness it also adds some kind of fiber-strength because this sponge-cake was able to carry the toppings about about as well as trying to do the good stuff after a few too many whiskey shots.  and don't get me started about how this stuff processed through my intestines!!!

If the pizza's texture, consistency and taste wasn't enough to make you want to stick your head in a pizza oven, then the gluten free beer was.  Beer that tastes like apple-cider should not be packaged to look like beer and should not be sold to red-blooded, hard-working, tax paying Americans!!!!

I remember the first time I went to a Chinese restaurant which served their dishes sans MSG.  This is the day I realized that the only good thing about Chinese food is the MSG, without it your eating chicken feet and duck liver.

No comments: